I know what it’s like when your kid loses your TCL Roku remote and you can’t figure out how to turn on your TV without it.
There’s actually quite a few ways to control your TV without the remote though, most of which don’t require more than a few minutes of your time to get up and running.
Let’s watch TV!
How to Turn on TCL Roku TV Without Remote
Turn on your TCL Roku TV without the remote either using the Power button located under the TCL logo, or by using the Roku app to turn on and control your TV from your phone.
Let’s go into some more detail as to how to find the power button and use the app, plus some other options, so you can get your Roku TV back up and running as quickly as possible.
Or if your remote is not working, try to sync your Roku remote with your TV.
1. TCL Roku TV Power Button Location
TCL make the placement of the physical on / off button on their Roku TVs pretty difficult to find.
All TCL Roku TVs will have a Power button, usually located underneath the TV, likely below the TCL logo, or otherwise on the rear of the TV.
One press of this button will switch the TV on, and a long press will switch it off. When turned on, a short press of this button will put the TV into standby mode.
Older TCL Roku TVs will also have channel and volume buttons near the Power button, although newer models only have the Power button.
This means that you cannot control the TV using physical buttons alone, once switched on, on the newest TCL TVs.
To control your TV, you will either need to use an app or get a replacement remote control.
If your TCL Roku remote isn’t working, then take a look at the linked article for tips on fixing it.
2. TCL Roku TV Remote App
To use your TCL Roku TV without a remote, then the best method is to download the Roku app onto your phone.
- Download and install the Roku Remote Control app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Open the Roku Remote Control App.
- It will automatically search for your TV.
- Once found, tap to pair them.
- Tap the Power button in the top-right.
If you can’t find your TV within the app, then make sure that your phone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your TCL TV.
The remote does not require an Internet connection to work, but you do need to be on the same local network.
3. Use the Mi Remote App
If you’re struggling to get a connection between the Roku app and your TCL TV, the Mi Remote app is a good alternative, as this doesn’t require a Wi-Fi connection to work and relies only on infrared.
If you have an Android phone with an infrared function, then:
- Download the Mi Remote app and install it.
- Ensure the standby light on your TCL TV is on.
- Open the app and tap the TV option.
- Point your phone at your TV’s IR receiver and press the Power button in the app.
This sends an IR signal from your phone to the TV exactly the same as with a basic Roku TV remote.
4. Try a New Generic Remote
If you’ve lost your TCL remote, then you can buy a generic replacement for a few dollars from all major retailers.
Note that you should look for a “TCL Roku TV” branded remote as other Roku remotes are not necessarily compatible with TCL, due to their differing IR code-set.
If you still have your remote, but it’s not working, then take a look at the article on how to fix your TCL Roku TV remote before consigning it to the trash.
5. Fix Your Existing Remote
If you’re only looking to turn your TCL Roku TV on without the remote, because your existing remote doesn’t seem to work, then try these tips to fix it:
- Check for dead batteries.
- Look for stuck buttons.
- Update your TV.
- Check the IR emitter works.
- Check your IR isn’t being blocked.
- Power cycle and factory reset your TV.
- Check for physical damage to your remote.
You can read more details on each of these points in my article on what to do if your TCL Roku remote doesn’t work, but my best tip is to remove the batteries, hold down the power button for 10 seconds to drain any residual power, then forcefully mash every button on the remote, slapping it against your palm a few times.
Over time, your remote’s buttons can begin to stick, and just like with a computer keyboard there is a limit to how many simultaneous button pushes the remote will recognize.
So, one or more buttons stuck in the “on” position can prevent other buttons on the remote from working.
Typically, the volume button will stop working as this is one of the most used buttons and is therefore most susceptible to getting dirt stuck inside it, but it can be fixed quite easily by following this method.
6. Use a Games Console
HDMI-CEC allows two-way communication between your TV and console, allowing your console to switch your TV on and off automatically.
Currently only the PS4 and Nintendo Switch support HDMI-CEC control of your TV.
You do need a working screen to switch this on within your console, so if you cannot turn on your TCL Roku TV at all this won’t be appropriate, but if you can then follow the steps below.
First, make sure that HDMI-CEC is turned on on your TCL Roku TV.
To switch on HDMI-CEC on a TCL Roku TV:
- Press Home on your remote.
- Scroll to the Gear Icon for settings.
- Then System.
- And Control Other Devices (CEC).
- And uncheck 1-touch play.
To allow your PS4 to control your TCL:
- Switch on your PS4 and make sure it is connected via the HDMI-CEC (eARC) port on your TV.
- Go to Settings -> System on your Playstation.
- Scroll down to Enable HDMI Device Link and ensure that this is ticked.
- Switching on your Playstation will then automatically switch on your TV and change it to your Playstation’s input.
See more in the video below.
For the Nintendo Switch:
- Connect your Switch dock to your TV over HDMI.
- Go to System Settings.
- Then switch Match TV Power State to On.
- Your TV will now turn on and off whenever your Switch is turned on and off.
So, How Can You Turn On A TCL TV Without The Remote?
There are a handful of good ways to for to turn on your TCL Roku TV without a remote:
- Use the physical power button located underneath the IR sensor on the TV, usually in the middle or at the side.
- Download the Roku Remote app to your phone, pair your phone and TV by using the same local network, then use the app to switch it on.
- Use the Mi Remote app to simulate an IR remote with your phone.
- Get a new generic remote for a few dollars.
- Try to fix your remote.
- Use a games console to turn it on.
If you’re still struggling to turn on your TCL Roku TV, let me know in the comments and I’ll do what I can to help.
Where are the buttons on a TCL Roku TV?
New TCL Roku TVs only have a power button, located underneath the IR receiver on the underside of the TV. Older models will also have volume and channel buttons next to the power button.
How do I get my TCL TV to work without a remote?
Use the RemoteNOW app, the Mi Remote app, or Android TV or Roku Remote apps on your phone to control your TCL Roku TV. This gives you the same functionality as if you were using a regular remote control.